The New Sonoma Diet may be my favorite (nutrition related) book of all time. yes, it’s that good.
Dr. Connie Guttersen explains what this diet is all about in this video clip:
I’m not a huge fan of “diet” books. Phase 1 of eliminating this, Phase 2 of eliminating that. Sounds like a miserable, deprivation disaster of restricting anything tasty. What better way to put one’s self in a bad mood! 🙁
The Sonoma lifestyle is a Mediterranean(ish) way of eating. This diet is rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, fish, nuts and wine!
The twelve superfoods of The New Sonoma Diet:
- Bell peppers
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Whole grains
Today’s recipe is courtesy of The New Sonoma Diet: Chicken, Tomato, Basil, & Penne Salad
- 1 T extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 T garlic, sliced
- 3 cups whole-wheat penne pasta or Barilla Plus Pasta, cooked
- 3 T red wine vinegar
- 2 cups tomatoes, seeded, diced
- 1 cup chicken, cooked, shredded ( I used rotisserie)
- 1.5 cups baby spinach, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 3 T capers, rinsed, roughly chopped
- 1 T basil, chopped
- 2 scallions, chopped
- Place olive oil and garlic in a small pan. Cook over low heat until garlic is tender, about 5 minutes. Place cooked penne in a bowl. Toss with 1 T red wine vinegar. Add cooked garlic and oil.
- Add tomatoes, chicken, spinach, capers, basil, and scallions. Add the remaining vinegar and toss well. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- I also added kalamata olives (chopped) and feta cheese to my dish.
Enjoy with a glass of red wine, and savor it! 🙂